Saturday, April 25, 2009

Winging my way East

I am traveling today, flying out of San Francisco to Dulles. I should be back at St. Paul's in time for Sunday's worship services which will be focused especially on our special relationship with the University of Virginia and the end of the academic year. And I do hope everyone will take the time to show their appreciation for The Rev. David McIlhiney, who will be preaching at all our services and is retiring at the end of July. It is not too soon to contribute to a gift "purse" for David; you can make your check payable to St. Paul's, and mark the memo line "David McIlhiney gift."

As I wing my way east today, I will read the usual assortment of newspapers and magazines. Here is a thought-provoking item from Jim Wallis at Sojourners:
The Religious Right was a Christian mistake. It was a movement that sought to implement a “Christian agenda” by tying the faithful to one political option -- the right wing of the Republican Party. The politicizing of faith in such a partisan way is always a theological mistake. But the rapid decline of the Religious Right now offers us a new opportunity to re-think the role of faith in American public life.
To read Wallis' full article, click HERE. Blessings to all.

No comments: