Friday, February 12, 2010

Paper boats and thoughts of those we love

When I was small, I used to make boats out of all sorts of things -- paper, wood, bent cans -- anything that would float. I'd look for places to float my nautical creations, and usually I would come home drenched head-to-toe.

No doubt my love of boats came from my father, who began sailing San Francisco Bay when he was 16 years old and kept right on sailing the Bay into his 80s.

Our friend Karen from Tennessee sent this lovely poem for Valentine Day, and I share it with you.
This Paper Boat
by Ted Kooser

Carefully placed upon the future,
it tips from the breeze and skims away,
frail thing of words, this valentine,
so far to sail. And if you find it
caught in the reeds, its message blurred,
the thought that you are holding it
a moment is enough for me.

No comments: