Sunday, September 28, 2014

Bringing out the treasure of the new and the old

This Sunday morning's Daily Office readings (always different than the Eucharistic readings) includes this gem I hadn't quite noticed before, from Mathew 13:44-52:
"Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of Heaven is like the master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old."
That seems like a mandate for preaching, and a warning.

My prayer for myself (and those who preach today):

O God, grant me openness to the new, the creative, the wonder of your creation ever being created; show me a path into the depths of ancient wisdom of those who have come before me; guard me from my own foolishness and folly, from words that hurt, and guide me words that inspire, comfort and challenge us to build your kingdom. Amen.

No comments: